Tuesday 10 November 2009

Wet Metal

Merry everyone! Heylo guise!

Its not a very straightforward day today. At first I was all like "Yeah man, lets do some Unreal Scripting!", but then I got out of bed and the harsh light of day was not so welcoming to the idea. I say hello to Mr Kenji-san, but his mind was  plagued by the cries of unborn software renderers, and as such he was creatively incapacitated! So I whipped out the 'ole XNA and decided to destroy the heads of some penguins.

In my youthful ponderings on the inner workings of the vidya game, there were many things which, when logically digested, served only to confound. One of these things was persistent blood-splatter. How do you splatter blood everywhere? Why do you splatter blood everywhere? Can you please stop splattering blood everywhere? And other such questions. 

Today, I saw the light! It was pretty obvious really....

I took the smear layer shadery thing from the previous post and extended it to sample from a masking texture which determines whether or not the smears fade, then I combined the effects of two versions of my particle system to make some awesum bloods. Also Sprite by Freezepop mi frennn:


This took about 7 hours. Most of this time was spent figuring out why I couldn't sample from the freaking texture all of a sudden (PROTIP: spritebatch is made out of vile hatred and register(s0)).

No comments:

Post a Comment